Fire in 1500 block of East Ninth, no injuries reported
Posted by WHOP Hopkinsville, KY 98.7 and 95.3 FM and 1230 AM on Thursday, May 10, 2018
Fire destroyed an apartment building just west of Skyline Drive on East Ninth Street Thursday morning.
Hopkinsville Fire Department Captain Michael Pendleton gave details to WHOP News.
Further investigation determined the fire was unintentional and that it started on the back deck when a cigarette bucket caught fire and spread to the top floor.
Pendleton says they were able to use video surveillance to be certain how the fire began.
The Red Cross was called to assist the at least nine people who were displaced and that number could be as high as 15, according to Pendleton.
The confusion over the exact number of displaced residents is due to one family leaving the scene before accepting any assistance.
The situation became more dangerous for firefighters and displaced residents when a live power line fell onto East Ninth as the building burned.
Power was knocked out from near Skyline Drive to the area of McLean Avenue.