Trial is still set to start as scheduled on June 4 for Julius Catlett Jr, the man charged with murder in the 2016 shooting death of Shaun Smith.
After multiple delays previously in the case, public defender Jared Smith says they are ready to go to trial after receiving final lab reports concerning DNA testing. Smith also requested that the murder charge be tried separately from the possession of a handgun by a convicted felon charge, to allow for focus to be on just the murder.
Commonwealth’s Attorney Lynn Pryor explained that in previous cases, they have tried all charges at once and then separated them during the sentencing phase.
Judge Andrew Self said he would consider the motion but told everyone to be prepared to go to trial on June 4 no matter what method they take.
Catlett is charged with murder for allegedly shooting Shaun Smith in September 2016 at a party on Younglove Street. He was arrested later in Evansville, Indiana.