Spring wildfire season underway, daytime burn ban in effect 

By News Reporter Gabby Cedano

Governor Andy Beshear is encouraging Kentuckians to take precautions as the state’s Spring Wildfire Hazard Season runs through April 30. 

During that time, outdoor burning is prohibited between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. in or within 150 feet of any woodland or brushland. Beshear says March and April are typically the most active months for wildfires and stressed the importance of staying alert. He calls on residents to work together to protect neighbors, communities and outdoor spaces.

The Kentucky Division of Forestry responds to more than 1,000 wildfires each year across the Commonwealth. Last year, 517 wildfires were reported during the 10-week spring hazard season alone, underscoring the heightened risk during this period. Forestry officials say recent winter snow and ice may have left behind fallen trees and organic debris, which can fuel fires if burned carelessly. Director Brandon Howard says residents who burn debris take proper precautions to prevent flames from escaping and becoming wildfires.

According to state data, 99% of Kentucky wildfires are caused by human activity. Arson accounts for more than half of those cases, with escaped debris fires ranking as the second leading cause. If a fire gets out of control, officials say residents should immediately contact their local fire department or the nearest Division of Forestry office.

Authorities also remind Kentuckians to follow all outdoor burning restrictions, including local ordinances and air quality regulations and to avoid burning during dry or windy conditions. Officials say taking simple preventive steps can go a long way in reducing wildfire risks and protecting lives, property and Kentucky’s forests.

Report suspicion of arson to local law enforcement or the nearest Kentucky State Police post or call the Target Arson Hotline at 1-800-27-ARSON.