Gov. Beshear moves up date for gatherings, 199 new cases in Kentucky

Governor Andy Beshear is moving up the phase of the reopening plan that permits gatherings of 10 people to Memorial Day weekend, and he announced 199 new cases of COVID-19 during Thursday’s press conference.

That brings Kentucky’s overall total of cases to 7,225 and 2,712 have recovered from the virus since the pandemic began.  Governor Beshear says while they will continue to have a cautious reopening across the state, they have moved the date that gatherings of 10 people or less can get together from May 25 to May 22.  He says it just makes sense to move the date up due to Memorial Day weekend.

He encouraged Kentuckians to go online to and check the health guidelines that will allow them to have some much needed time together safely.

The Governor says they will also allow the travel ban to expire that day, though he still cautions against too much traveling outside of the state for the time being.

Although it was a much lower number than what has become typical, two more Kentuckians did die from the illness, bringing that total to 328. Over a nine week period, 88 percent of unemployment claims have been processed and payments have gone out, leaving 12 percent left to go. The Governor says more information will come out about that in the coming days.

Tennessee has 16,699 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and is up to 287 deaths.  Montgomery County gained eight cases to 199, Robertson County added five cases to 250 and Stewart County remains at seven cases.