Kentucky State Police holding press conference at Marshall County Board of Education after yesterday's school shooting.
Posted by WBKO Television on Wednesday, January 24, 2018
Video from WBKO Facebook
The murder case against a 15-year old male Marshall County High School student accused of killing two classmates and injuring 18 others in a shooting Tuesday morning will be heard by a grand jury.
Assistant County Attorney Jason Darnall told media Wednesday afternoon that a preliminary hearing was scheduled this week in juvenile court and the process is in place to bring the case before a grand jury to try the suspect as an adult.
The alleged shooter is facing two counts of murder and a dozen counts of first-degree assault. Police had initially indicated there would be attempted murder charges relating to the injured victims, but Darnall said their best case is for the assault charges and both crimes carry the same potential penalties.
Darnall expects a Marshall County Grand Jury to hear the case on February 13th. The suspect’s name and case would become public if the grand jury indicts and he would proceed in Marshall Circuit Court.
Marshall County School System Superintendent Trent Lovett sent his thoughts and prayers to the victims and thanked the school’s staff, administration and students for the way they handled the situation. He says elementary and middle school students would return to school on normal schedule Thursday.
Marshall County High School will remain closed, with no date announced for when it could reopen.
Police identified the teens killed as 15-year old Bailey Nicole Holt and 15-year old Preston Ryan Cope. Five students are recovering from gunshot wounds at Vanderbilt University Medical Center and are expected to survive.
President Donald Trump tweeted that he had been in contact with Governor Bevin regarding the shooting and sent his thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families.
Earlier today, I spoke with @GovMattBevin of Kentucky regarding yesterday’s shooting at Marshall County High School. My thoughts and prayers are with Bailey Holt, Preston Cope, their families, and all of the wounded victims who are in recovery. We are with you!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 24, 2018