Dayton Jones is now representing himself as he seeks relief from the 15-year sentence he accepted in 2016 as part of a plea deal relating to the October, 2014 sexual assault of a 15-year old male at a party on Lafayette Road.
Michael Goodwin had been Jones’ attorney and appeared for a hearing in Christian Circuit Court Wednesday morning by phone. He had his motion to withdraw from the case granted by Judge John Atkins, as Goodwin says Jones made it clear his services were no longer desired.
Assistant Attorney General Jon Heck also appeared via phone and received clarification from Judge John Atkins that he will need to appear for another hearing July 11.
Jones filed a supplement to his prior motion for relief Tuesday and laid out additional instances when he believes his former attorney Bill Deatherage did not investigate evidence or devise strategy that could have given Jones a better outcome.
There continues to be some question regarding former Christian County sheriff’s deputy Stevie Tucker’s knowledge or involvement in the investigation. Jones has asserted that Tucker told him evidence was tampered with and destroyed by the sheriff’s department, but Tucker denies he ever spoke to Jones or that he was involved in the investigation.
A transcript of an interview of a witness conducted by Sgt. Brandon Myers shows the witness saying “Officer Tucker” took his phone prior to the interview. Tucker was a school resource officer at Christian County High School at the time and tells WHOP he doesn’t recall talking to that witness about the case or taking any phone related to the sexual assault investigation.
He says detectives may have interviewed some of the individuals involved in the case at his office in the high school, but maintains his assertion that he wasn’t involved and that he hasn’t spoken to Jones.
Jones’ co-defendants—Tyler Perry, Colton Cavanaugh and Samual Miller—also accepted plea deals on various charges.